(1) Orange Cream Dessert Squares
A sugar cookie crust with a hint of orange is the base for a creamy cheesecake filling.
Prep Time: 25 Min
Total Time: 3 Hr 35 Min
Makes: 24 servings
1 roll (16.5 oz) Pillsbury® refrigerated sugar cookies
2 tablespoons grated orange peel (from 2 large oranges)
2 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened
¼ cup sugar
½ cup SMUCKER’S® Sweet Orange Marmalade
1 teaspoon orange-flavored liqueur or 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
2 LAND O LAKES® Eggs
3 tablespoons whipping (heavy) cream
2 drops orange food color (or 2 drops yellow and 1 drop red food color)
1 ½ teaspoons LAND O LAKES® Butter
½ cup white vanilla baking chips
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Press cookie dough evenly on bottom and 1 inch up sides of ungreased 13×9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish. (If dough is sticky, use floured fingers.) Sprinkle evenly with orange peel.
2. In medium bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, marmalade and liqueur with electric mixer on medium-high speed about 1 minute or until well blended. Add eggs; beat about 2 minutes or until well blended and mixture is creamy. Spread evenly in crust.
3. Bake 29 to 36 minutes or until crust is golden brown and center is set. Cool 1 hour.
4. In small microwavable bowl, microwave whipping cream and food color uncovered on High about 30 seconds or just until boiling. Add butter and baking chips; stir until chips are melted. Spread mixture evenly over bars. Refrigerate about 1 1/2 hours or until chilled and firm.
5. To serve, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows, using thin, sharp knife and wiping blade occasionally. Cover and refrigerate any remaining dessert squares.
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft):
1 Serving (1 Serving)
(2) Peanut Butter Bars
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup flour
1 cup quick-rolled oats
1 pkg. (6 oz.) chocolate chips
½ cup confectioners’ sugar
¼ cup creamy peanut butter
2-4 tbsp. milk
Mix first 10 ingredients together, beginning by creaming butters & sugars, then adding egg & vanilla, followed by dry ingredients.
Spread in greased 13×9-inch pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
Immediately sprinkle chocolate chips on top, allow to melt, then spread evenly.
Mix last 3 ingredients and drizzle over chocolate.
Note: For the drizzle, I use half the quantities of those 3 ingredients and find it is plenty.
Cool and cut into bars. Sweet & yummy — enjoy!
Section 2, part 2
(1) Daniel H. in NC: Section 11 was very interesting–and so true.
(2) Skip G. in PA (with a FANTASTIC BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY, regardless of where you live):
100% renewable wind energy certificates. Reduce dependence on foreign oil, improve the quality of our environment, create jobs in America, create a better future for our children and earn substantial residual monthly income. It’s your chance to be in on the launch of a national product. Turn $19.95 a month into $ thousands.
(3) Pat H. in PA: No joke [on use of neti pot] I used to have BIG TIME sinus issues. Tried almost everything. Even tried a nasal wash.. I went and had accupuncture and it helped big time. In fact, my daugter’s allergies were drastically reduced. Lately though my sinus are no longer a problem as I have a sleep disorder and use a CPAP machine and mask that basically forces air into my airways at night and I drink 6-7 bottles of water a day. No more sinus issues…Yes!!!!
(4) Elaine B. in PA: This “package”[BLAINEWORLD] is always interesting. Part D…somewhere is “Riding the Bus with My Sister.” It’s very touching. And, I like the Katie show, but I wish her hairdresser would “fix” her up.
(5) Sharon B. in PA: I am passing along a link to the new movie, Genetic Roulette. It can be viewed for free for the next few days. It is REALLY important that everyone watch this movie. I know you have a healthy contact list so I thought you might want to check out this movie and pass it along to all your contacts and friends. It’s really important that everyone in the US knows about this issue.
Section 12A (1 seminar I’m presenting & 1 I’m moderating)
(1) Survival Marketing–offered by Asheville SCORE
Sponsored by Ruth C. Smith
Saturday, October 13, 2012 – 9:00 AM-Noon
Registration starts at 8:30 AM
Save $5 by pre-registering by clicking:
To market and grow your business, you need to understand the concept of positioning; i.e., what is it that you do that makes yourself meaningfully different from the competition. Come to this informative and engaging seminar to learn how it’s done.
(2) The one I’m moderating:
SBA and AARP Host Panel Discussion October 2
Please join us in Candler, NC just outside Asheville, on October 2, 2012 to celebrate National Encore Entrepreneur Mentor Day. One in four Americans between the ages of 44 and 70 are interested in starting their own business. A panel discussion will highlight successful business owners that started their companies when they were over 50. One of the panelists is NC Small Business Person of the Year Oscar Wong who started Highland Brewing Company. Also, SCORE counselors will be on hand to provide business advice and mentoring. This FREE event will be held at Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College Enka Campus, 1465 Sand Hill Road, Candler, 2nd floor, Haynes Conference Center. Registration is required. Please go to: http://aarp.cvent.com/SBANC or call 1-877-926-8300.
For more information, contact SBA’s Eileen Joyce at 704-344-6787.
Section 12B (Other NC events)
In 2012, Lonesome River Band is celebrating their 30th Anniversary with three albums, CHRONOLOGY Volumes One – Three” on Rural Rhythm Records. This mega group certainly continues their reputation as one of the most respected names in bluegrass music. Longtime band member and multi-award winning banjo picker, Sammy Shelor has put together a wealth of talent that includes: Brandon Rickman (lead & harmony vocals and guitar); Mike Hartgrove (fiddle); Barry Reed (bass, harmony vocals); and Randy Jones (lead & harmony vocals, mandolin) all performing the distinctive LRB sound fans love.
(2) You’re Invited to the 2012 Wellness Expo
Monday September 24
10 am -2 pm
Biltmore Square Mall in Asheville
Come join us as we kick off
Active Aging Week
Over 20 Free Screenings
Interactive Wellness Journey Passport Program
9/11 Service Project
Meet & Greet with Local Law Enforcement & First Responders
Free Chick Fil-A Lunch for Senior Companion, Foster Grandparent and RSVP Volunteers
This event is free and open to the public.
Bring your friends and family.
For More Information, Click the Links Below
Fall Benefit Concert! — Saturday, November 10 at 7:30pm in EST.
(4) Edie W. in PA: I will be offering a workshop AND a Cuddle Party at this 3 day piece of Heaven on Earth in Asheville, NC on November 2-4. Sign up using this link and tell your friends please.
Section 12C (PA/NJ)
(1) Mr. Mike teaches a 4 hour comprehensive women’s self defense seminar in Jamison, PA. It covers awareness, staying in the moment, how to apply proper self defense techniques that really work! The seminar teaches women how to avoid
(2) Dr. Helen Caldicott