Section 2, part 2
(1) Roger: I like your work.We kind of have the same interests. I have paintings that I have done over the years and an old 52 GMC pickup. Had to put this all on hold over the years to raise my family and to hold a job. Good work.
(2) Robin S. in PA: Lincoln: Loved it. I never twitched, not even once; despite the length. Great performances. Fascinating piece of history.
The Sessions: Loved it. John Hawkes is splendid. Helen Hunt is a revelation.
A Late Quartet: Good but too predictable. Still, strong performances by talented actors. And beautiful.
Saw Life of Pi today. It is magnificent. Spectacularly beautiful and compelling…let yourself be taken on this incredible journey.
(3) Jean H. in PA: Wow. Finished reading “The Last Time I Wore a Dress” last night. Very powerful story about a young lady put in mental institutions for dressing and acting like a boy. I’m very grateful for the supportive environment I grew up in, but parts really resonated with me, to the point of tears. This woman had real issues with depression and had been the victim of domestic and sexual violence – all that had never been treated. They just wanted to make her look and behave “girly” to properly socialize her. Heartbreaking. It took great courage to write that book.
(4) Rob S. in PA: Treat yourself and/or your loved ones to a special Holiday gift for Chanukah and Christmas…a chance to win a 2013 Mercedes Benz C300 sedan or $24,000 in cash. All ticket buyers will be treated to dinner for two and an open bar at Keenan Motors at the drawing party on June 13, 2013. Just click and follow the link below!
https://www.facebook.com/intuit/app_280813488703650?app_data=us_showcase_4613 to see my wish and vote.
Alyson & Don
PS We’d appreciate your sharing this with appropriate others in your social network!
Heard THE JOHN LENNON LETTERS (Hachette Audio), edited and with an introduction by Hunter Davis.
It features letters, postcards, lists and notes from Lennon, dating back to his childhood and continuing up until shortly before his murder. Many are humorous, but taken as a whole, they also provide a better understanding of what drove the man.
I also liked the short biography by Davis at the beginning of the book, as well as his introduction to each entry that helped give it context.
For instance, there was this 1969 scathing response that he sent to John Holyland (a writer for the radical British magazine BLACK DWARF) after he had accused Lennon of being politically soft:
“You say ‘In order to change the world we’ve got to understand what’s wrong with the world. And then–destroy it. Ruthlessly.’
“You’re obviously on a destruction kick. I’ll tell you what’s wrong with it–People–so do you want to destroy them? Ruthlessly?”
And I loved this holiday open letter, written during his 1970s seclusion at the Dakota when he was baking bread and raising his son Sean:
* “This is the Great Wok speakin to you from the heart of the West Side Manhattan New York. I am pleased to give my annual yearly message to Ma People. For the New Year 1979 I myself have made my resolution. To renounce completely–everything but complete self indulgence & luxury.”
Section 12A, NC events
Featuring Biltmore Lake Resident Musicians!
Ben Fiedler (18) Pianist: Nov. 2012 Sonata Festival Senior Competition Winner
Kay Nakazawa (18) Violinist: Former Concertmaster Asheville Youth Orchestra
Madison Fiedler (16) Vocalist: Guest Soloist with Blue Ridge Orchestra, Macy’s Day Parade Performer
Wine and cheese will be served
Piano provided by Brevard Piano
This free charity event will donate all proceeds to Habitat for Humanity to help families in NY and NJ rebuild their homes lost to the recent & devastating Hurricane Sandy.
Donation checks can be made out to: Habitat for Humanity
(2) Dr. Nido Quebein is the featured speaker at Lessons in Leadership on Tuesday, Jan. 29 at UNCA. For more information, please click:
(3) PLEASE HOLD THE DATE (& a request): Thursday, Feb. 14 will be SART’s first HEARTS FOR SART fundraiser to be held at “On Broadway,” 49 Broadway Ave, Asheville . . . . it will feature BJ Leiderman, the NPR composer, pictured below. Details to follow.
The request: We are also collecting merchandise for a silent auction. By donating a gift certificate or merchandise, you’ll be making a tax deductible contribution that will not only help us continue the mission of our theatre, but also gain you valuable exposure at the event. If you can help out, please send an email to email@example.com and indicate what you might be able to contribute.
A Sound Healing Experience
Now In 2 Locations –
Loft – Kennett Square, PA
Home Studio – Landenberg, PADirections will be provided upon registration www.RhythmOfTheEarth.com
610-563-3918WINTER SOLSTICE CEREMONY Join us for a Celebration of Light
DECEMBER 21, 2012
Potluck at 7pm and Ceremony at 8pm – Landenberg, Pennsylvania – weather permitting, we will be outside for the ceremonyAs the Wheel turns from Fall to Winter and the light slowly, but persistently increases, as it has done since time out of mind, I invite you to consider:
There is a quickening that has been occurring on our beloved planet for many years. We all feel an increase of energy that will be particularly available to us during the celestial alignment that is occurring on December 21-22. We are being asked to consider if there is anything holding us from manifesting our highest Purpose at this moment in our lifetime? What aspect of our Being is seeking the light of our attention? It is truly as simple honoring what is in the way, and then placing our attention on what is possible for the amplification of our next step in our earthly walk this lifetime. We have such potential for growth at this time…follow your passion. Do that!
Come and share with a beautiful community that will eat, laugh, pray, celebrate, drum and sing this exciting time into being.
Your potluck is your energy exchange.As usual, please honor me with an email to let me know that you are coming.To Register please contact Cyndy at 610-274-3109 or email SnakeDancer@RhythmOfTheEarth.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
for more information please visit www.RhythmOfTheEarth.com
|Order early and Save for New Year’s Eve. Check your favorite club.South Jersey
Not many left, but See this great Gift Certificate E-Special while supplies last!
Click hear and see http://www.comedycabaret.com/levittown.html
(3) I’m slated to be “up North” from Jan. 21-27, 2013 and staying in the Bucks County area. One place I know I’ll be at: Zebra Striped Whale in Newtown, PA, on Saturday, Jan. 26 from 2-4 p.m. Stop by to say “hello” and get some of that store’s oh-so-tasty ice cream and/or chocolate. An added “plus” will be John Strauss playing his guitar. If you can’t make it then, if interested, contact me about the possibility of getting together some other time.