Section 2, part 2
(1) Danny B. in NC: Just wanted to give a shoutout to your thumb. Looking at all your photos as I am updating your website, there is your thumb, not doing much, but sticking up before you, saying, “Hey, everything is all right!”
(2) Mark B. in NC: I enjoy your newsletter, especially the jokes. I haven’t seen you in person for a while, and am not sure I would recognize you without Cynthia at your side.
(3) BJ L. in NC: Thank you, Blaine for including me in Barrie’s write up!
I’m still interested in Turing Blaine’sWorld into a mini-Rock Opera. I know your readers would get a kick out of it.
Response: Or if not that, a song in your new CD? (Methinks we could even get more folks to buy into the Kickstarter program that way!)
(4) Janet C. in NC: Connecticut couple set to celebrate 81st anniversary
(5) Brian B. in NC: Joy to you Facebook Friends! I want to offer you the ultimate stocking-stuffer this year! It is something special that was created as a gift for my daughters. Please visitwww.brianbiro.com/holiday
for details or order your Loving Life Lessons e-book directly at www.brianbiro.com/Loving_Life_Lessons
(6) Gene A. in PA: Family and friends,
WE NEED YOUR HELP; ‘please take 3 minutes’ to watch this important video produced by my two sons, Matt, Jeff and his girlfriend Katie to show you some of the students behind The Burma Project
To view it, please click:
The six of us will be heading on a mission trip in February to the country of Myanmar (Burma) above Thailand for 3 weeks.We have 5 more days to reach our half way mark of $12,500; this will allow us to secure the solar equipment for the school buildings for youth that have no electricity.All charitable donations are tax deductible for 2013.Please join with us to make this a reality for these students and share this link with others who could help us reach our goal.Thank you in advance!!
The Alligood and Palmer familieshttp://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-burma-project
(7) Kevin J. in PA: Are you looking for that perfect stocking stuffer or gift of love and support for yourself or others that shows how you and they care about someone living now or in the past with Dementia/Alzheimer’s?
We’ve partnered with BRAVELETS and their fine Dementia Awareness jewelry and TODAY ONLY, because it’s “Giving Tuesday” they will double their normal $10 donation to our cause if at least 20 people purchase something today– if you buy even just one piece of wonderfully crafted jewelry.
I’ve personally seen the quality of the design first-hand and the really nice way they package their items… makes for a very special gift(s).
Please click on the link below and take a quick look… I think you’ll like what you see and ultimately what you give (and receive).
(8) Chris L. in PA: Heard on the news last night about the weight loss properties of honey (i.e. – take a couple tablespoons of honey before bed and lose up to 3 lbs. a week). I told my wife about it this morning, and she found this website (http://www.benefits-of-honey.com/honey-and-weight-loss.html), touting numerous benefits of taking honey. Have you come across any similar type information? Or, if you wouldn’t mind, could you ask your readers if they have experience with honey’s benefits?
Response: I’m somewhat skeptical of that 3 lb. weight loss. For a good assessment on the topic, please click:
(9) Paul C. in NC: Won’t you take a second and vote for this image? Pretty please!
(10) Beverly T. in NC: 19 Signs You’re Doing Better than You Think
(11) Jerry G. in PA: First two radio shows now on the web.
Opinions about show welcome.
(12) Savannah H. in PA: Ten Benefits Of Being Open-Minded
Section 4, Reviews
C. THE SECRETS OF BUSINESS (Ehab’s Books and Media Publishing, Inc) by Ehab Atalla tells how he went from being a broke, immigrant cashier to establishing 34 businesses in 15 different industries.The book starts slowly, but then picks up as he starts describing what he has done–and why it has worked (at least most of the time).Among the useful ideas I picked up were these:* If you’re a surgeon, you are limited to how many surgeries you can do per week because you can’t be in two places at once and you only have two hands. Since there is only so much time you can work, your income can become limited.If you’re a professional, you need to invest your income smartly if you wish to free up your time. I know doctors, for instance, who buy the office building where they work. This allows them to collect income from other tenants and grow their wealth. They make additional money this way without spending more of their time working.* Any situation has numerous ways for you to leverage it. Let’s say, for example, you take an educational class. The benefits of taking a class are obvious-getting an education and developing skills. But what else can you leverage that is not so obvious? Take a moment to think about how many birds you can kill with one stone by taking a class. Can you come up with more than five?Besides just listening to the professor, you can take advantage of expanding your network by meeting all of your classmates. Suppose you take four classes in one semester, and each class has 50 people in it; that’s 200 new people you can meet every semester. Two hundred new people you can share ideas with and study with. Through interacting with your classmates, you will come across new ideas and perspectives that will lead to opportunities or maybe even a new business.And I especially liked this one:* I found out that if I have a serious problem that I cannot find a solution for, or if I need to create a business plan, I can program my mind to work on these tasks while I sleep. Before I go to bed, I think very intensely and deeply about the problem. I visualize all parts of the problem and what the solution should look like. Then, while I am falling asleep, I continue thinking about the problem and solution. Why? Because I want to fall asleep thinking about what I want to solve or create: I want to force my subconscious to think for me while I sleep. Try this technique for yourself. I found that when I do this, in the morning I come up with the solution, goal, or plan. Or, I wake up suddenly in the middle of the night with the answer I am looking for.THE SECRETS OF BUSINESS was a bit light on specifics. However, I was impressed by an Appendix that showed many of the legal documents that backed up the author’s claims of success.
D. Heard HITCH 22: A MEMOIR (Hachette Audio), written and ready by Christopher Hitchins.Hitchins, who died in 2011, was a British-American author and jouranlist who was known as a man with unbending convictions that often seemed contraditory; e.g., he was opposed to the war in Vietnam and yet he supported invention in Iraq.He spends an inordinate amount of time on his youth in this book, and I felt there was way too much name-dropping.Also, I don’t think Hitchins’ narration was particularly well done.
Section 11, Thought for the day
Time Management….NO! Activity Management
by Annemarie Brown*
As we change the clock and go back in time, I am reminded of an answer that Earl Nightingale gave to one of my mentors, Bob Procter, many years ago. Bob asked Earl, who he was working for at the time how on earth he managed his time, with all the projects, businesses, & commitments he juggled each and every day. There didn’t seem to be enough hours in the day to accomplish all that the famously extremely successful Earle Nightingale accomplished or so he thought.
Earl said “No such thing as managing time, impossible to do and this does not exist….cannot do it. What I do is manage my activities.
At night before I go to sleep, I plan and write down the 8-10 activities I want to do the next day. This prepares my subconscious mind the night before and sends a signal to the subconscious of all the people I will talk with, meet with, have interactions with… be it meetings, appointments, or phone, while I am sleeping.
Additionally, the Universe, the Field, Infinite Intelligence or the God Force, (forgot which one he used…amb) is handling the details while I sleep and is getting everything ready for me. (I would include instructing those forces to connect with everyone heart to heart, help me with any information that I need or help that I need in order to fulfill the actions on my list in the most effective, efficient, skilled, World Class way I possibly can. …that my day will unfold and progress with grace and ease and that I will accomplish what I set out to do and or be shown what I need to know to accomplish my intentions and be of service the very best I possibly can….something like that J….. amb)
Earl continues with the instructions: “The next day I begin with the first thing on my list of 8-10 things and just focus on the 1st thing on my list….totally focus on that, complete it and go on to the next thing, focus on that…complete it and go on to the next one on my list until my list is completed. Just one thing at a time, do it, complete it, scratch it off the list and go on to the next one.” (certainly you can have a list of less or more….up to you….Charles Schwab says he had 6 action steps on his daily list and that doing similar to the above contributed to his success….amb)
Earle said: “I am managing my activities not my time and it allows me to stay focused, use the Creative Intelligence of the Universe (since Earle’s day we now know the Quantum Field or Field of Potentiality has been proven to exist….amb) to help me through the night and then through my (inspired actions….amb’s words) follow through on my plan. Keeps me focused and on target.”This is as accurate as I can remember, and don’t you love it….no more time management…..”Activity Management”….which is in your control, not time ….time keeps going and going like the energizer bunny no matter what you are doing, so the good news is: choose your activity, stick with it, stay on focus and you WILL achieve your authentic desires.
For many of us that get sidetracked, procrastinate, or get easily distracted, (and who doesn’t?) what a practical new success habit to put into place which it is so easy and doesn’t cost anything!Remember to plan your next day…..TONIGHT and….as you enter sleep….with a smile on your face…….Imagine the Extraordinary!* Reprinted with Annemarie’s gracious permission. She is a Master Success & Transformation Coach. To reach her: Anytime: 505.490.0086; Office: 828.645.8602/
e-fax: 828.348.5052; firstname.lastname@example.org
Section 12, NC events
(1) There’s something seriously funny happening at 35Below this month. We’d especially love it if you came out opening night or opening weekend. I hope you all can make it.
All in the Timing
By David Ives
Produced by Attic Salt Theatre Company
Directed by Jeff Catanese
Starring Scott Fisher, Funk Garrett and Kirby Gibson
December 5-22, 2013; Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays at 7:30 pm, Sundays at 2:30 pm
This critically acclaimed, award-winning evening of short comedies combines wit, intellect, satire and just plain fun. When this evening of five one-act comedies premiered in 1993, Vincent Canby of The New York Times said “Ives is wizardly…magical and funny…a master of language.” Canby also told audiences “Drop-everything-and-go!”–and audiences did, for more than 600 performances.
For tickets, please go to ashevilletheatre.org
(2) The Sounds of Christmas
||The First Presbyterian Church of Weaverville Chancel & Children’s Choirs, under the direction of Ms. Sarah Fowler, are pleased to present their Christmas Program entitled “The Sounds of Christmas.” The concert will also feature special guests The Bright Hope Laurel Ringers under the direction of Ms. Andrea Bailey.This concert features the music of Handel, Bach, Craig Courtney, Mark Hayes, Pepper Choplin, and many more!Special guest musicians for this event include:Linda Cole & Misty Theisen, Flute
Jason Miller & Alan Theisen, Alto Saxophone
Kevin Young, Trumpet
Andrew Shelton, Trombone
Meghan Vance, Violin
Marie Cole, Cello
Derrick Everhart from The Piano Project, PianoGuest Vocalists for this event include:Kathryn Strickler, Soprano
Amy Garrison, Alto
Kenny Cheek, Bass
Daniel Hensley from Performing Arts Laboratory, BassWe hope you will make plans to join us for an evening of beautiful Advent & Christmas music. For any questions regarding this event, please contact us at email@example.com
(3) December 6, 2013 – Pipapelli at the Shovelhead Saloon
2898 Highway 70 Black Mountain, 9PM-??
December 14, 2013 – Pipapelli at a year-end blow-out party in Candler. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
December 31, 2013 – The BJ Leiderman Band at the White Horse in Black Mountain, NC with special guests David LaMotte, Eric Congdon, The Screaming J’s, Chuck Beattie
January 3, 2014 – Pipapelli returns to Knoxville TN to play at Preservation Pub, 8-10PM. $5 cover after 8PM. This is a GREAT venue on historic Market Square.
(4) I am singing with the Reuter Center Singers at our annual Holiday Celebration Concert and I wanted to remind all of you to come and join us for an evening of joy and merriment.
Monday, December 9th, 7:30 at the Reuters Center at UNCA.
The concert is being directed by our amazing and talented Music Director Chuck Taft, it is free and open to the public, there is a reception afterward (cider and treats!), and we expect a good time will be had by all.
Please come and join us for an evening of celebration to start off this holiday season.
I am also requesting that you pass on this invitation to everyone you know in Asheville, NC. The more the merrier!
Ellen P. Pappas
(5) Dominic Aquilino in NC: Come see Clara Ray Burrus, Brad Curtioff and nd I mix up some holiday standards!
What: Celebrate the Season concertWhen: 7:30 p.m. SaturdayWhere: Bo Thomas Auditorium, Blue Ridge Community College, Flat RockAdmission: FreeInfo: Call Martha Howell at 694-1743 or e-mail email@example.com
For an article about the concert, please click:
(7) Bradshaw Call returns to the Asheville area!
7:30 p.m. Dec. 19-21 and 2:30 p.m. Dec. 22.
Asheville Community Theatre, 35 E. Walnlut St.
$15. 254-1320. www.ashevilletheatre.org
For more information and a photo of Bradshaw, please click:
(8) Charlies Castex in NC: Coming up quickly is the Holiday Guidance Event on Sunday December 8th in Asheville NC! (Join us for a cozy afternoon of insight and inspiration at Castex Casa!) In this small group format, I am able to field specific personal and spiritual questions. This quite unique “Afternoon of Spirit” will be at our place in Mills River NC.Join us! “mi casa- esu casa!”Wow! 7 day Spiritual Journey to Roatan Island is also ramping up! Just 30 miles off the coast of mainland Honduras, an island jewel lays nestled along the Caribbean Sea. Back in 2011, I hosted a one day program on Roatan Island called “Walk Your Path of Power.” The ex-pat and local islander response to that program and to my readings has been enduring and expanding ever since, so I decided to take a few of you folks with me this winter!We will be returning this February, flying directly to Roatan for an awesome 7 Day Winter Spiritual Retreat – hosted by Upachaya Eco Resort. Upachaya is a verdant, Holistic Wellness facility that is the proud recipient of Trip Advisors 2013 “Business Award of Excellence!”Check it out in detail at * charleycastex.com- special events page. This Sojourn will be a very cool, restorative reconnect with natural beauty, spiritual guidance and intuitive awakening.
Section 12B, PA/NJ events
(1) Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR)
with Jeffrey S. Rutstein, Psy.D & Deborah Metzger, MSW, E-RYT 500
8 weeks: Wednesdays, March 12- April 30, 2014 – 7:00 to 9:00 pm
Retreat: Saturday, April 19, 2014 – 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
Free Intro: January 22 – 7:00 to 8:30 pm
Jeffrey Rutstein, Psy.D, clinical psychologist and director of the Life Center for Growth and Health, PC and Deborah Metzger, E-500-RYT, LSW, PCYH’s Founder and Director, will teach students the same 8-week series that forms the basis today for the key research studies with meditation.
Based on the work of Jon Kabat-Zinn, the program’s structured educational approach offers mindfulness meditation and gentle yoga as the core of its program to guide people to take better care of themselves and to live healthier and more adaptive lives. MBSR provides training in meditation, mindful-yoga, and relaxation to mobilize your mind/body resources to work with stress, pain, and illness in new ways that can promote growth and healing.
For more information: Contact us at 609-924-7294 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
(2) 2013 Riegelsville Fire Company Annual Community Dinner
Saturday, December 7 from 2 to 6pm
Come out and see my students/campers perform for the event.
Lauren Goodyear, Claire Wolfson, Aidan Holtz,
Alex Pentecost, Cayden Wisner and Zach Lawhorn
There will be 3 sets for different seating’s; 3:10 4:10 5:10
For tickets call 610 847-5084
(3) IRVING BERLIN’S WHITE CHRISTMAS
Dec. 6-22, 2013
Heartwarming musical adaptation of the beloved holiday film, featuring 17 Irving Berlin songs and a book by David Ives and Paul Blake.
Facebook: ActorsNET, AKA Actors’ NET of Bucks County