Section 2, part 2
(1) Diane Boyce: I did purchase some whole grain cereal from Thrive Market a couple of years ago with their 30 day free membership. At that time however there was no obligation to sign up for an annual membership which I would not like at all. The price on the cereal at the time though was very inexpensive to every other place.
(2) Kim Hughes: You are so cool Blaine!!! Thanks for participating so fully in Ashville!
(3) Lori Hansen: I tried out the Thrive market. I think it was a free 3 month membership. When they first started.I thought they had interesting food and prices were pretty good. I made a couple of orders but then just canceled before the membership kicked in. I think they tried to give it to me at a cheaper price to stay on,but I choose not to pay for it.
(4) Are you ready for math camp?
(6) Ange Maffei: Maybe it’s different in NC or with your cable carrier, but for us in PA with Comcast the Good Fight is on CBS All Access which is a CBS on-demand that you have to pay for. You can get one week free and then have to pay $5.99/mo with limited commercials or $9.99/month with no commercials. Can’t speak for anyone else but there is enough to see on TV without having to spend money for access to shows in a national TV station. … .Re: Thrive Market — I feel like you do,. A friend recommended it to me and when I saw the terms I was like no way.
Response: Good Fight seems to also be on the the regular CBS channel, too. Or at least I was able to pick it up. … Access seems to be for folks who drop regular TV.
(7) Henry Weintraub: If you want to see an amazing movie based on a true story, go see Lion. The film powerfully depicts the story of a five year-old child, Saroo, who becomes accidentally separated from his family, who live in a poverty-stricken, remote Indian village. Alone, thousands of miles away from home, and unable to speak or understand the language in Calcutta, Saroo barely survives the hellish streets and an inhumane orphanage until he is adopted by an Australian couple (Nicole Kidman is excellent as the mum). Fast forward 20 years and Saroo (now played by the Indian actor Dev Patel), who has, on the surface, adjusted to his upper middle-class upbringing, is obsessed with thoughts about his real identity and the family he left behind. Enter Google Earth and the remarkable world of technology. I’ll leave it at that, but this is a very emotional and ultimately uplifting story.
(9) Ruth Planey: Thanks so much for putting the link to George’s [Pappas] presentation in your newsletter. We listened to it last night. Very informative!
(10) Carole Biro: I have several friends who love Thrive an online health food store. I have not personally purchased but apparently the prices are great! I’ve noticed that they often have give aways. I don’t think $60 per year is such a bad price as friends say they save so much on groceries. If you plan on ordering regularly, why not take a giveaway?
(11) Adrienne Clark: Thanks for the Super Bowl program. It’s nicer than I thought it would be!
My response: Had the Eagles been in the game, the program would have been even better!
(13) Thanks, Mike Martinelli, for sharing your Oscar picks. You really know your movies!
Note: Mike’s choice for Best Original Screenplay (not checked below) is “Manchester by the Sea.” Also, he asked me to add the following comment:
Happy Oscar Day. The only sure win tonight is Viola Davis for Fences. Possible upsets that probably wont happen: Isabelle Hupert Best Actress, Hidden Figures Best Picture. Best Actor is the edge of your seat tight race between Caey Affleck and Denzel Washington.
Section 12A, NC events
(3) Performances March 3-19, 2017 in 35below
Fridays and Saturdays at 7:30 pm
Sundays at 2:30 pm
It’s about one moment. It’s about hitting the wall and having to make a choice, or take a stand, or turn around and go back. These are the stories and characters of today, the Songs For A New World. The first musical from Tony Award winner Jason Robert Brown (Parade, Bridges Of Madison County), this moving collection of powerful songs examines life, love and the choices we make.
Section 12B, PA/NJ events